Thursday, January 31, 2013

Gears and Dinosaurs

This week in kindergarten enrichment, students led centers including one on gears and one on dinosaurs.

I am sad to report that I was unable to take photographs of the gear center as students were using my iPad to manipulate gears on the program Geared2 by Playful Art. This center was designed by a student who had seen a set of toy gears sitting in a room and was curious about them. I was able to borrow the gear set from the Student Support Center and I received a donation of a gear game from a parent too! Students were engaged as they built gear contraptions and played with the idea of using one gear to move another. I also enjoyed seeing students support one another as they tried various strategies. I heard many words of encouragement and witnessed students working together to solve problems with no adult intervention required.

The other highly popular center this week was all about dinosaurs. I am always amazed by the students knowledge of dinosaur names and facts. Students created dinosaur fossil footprints in clay, constructed dinosaur bones, read books, colored pictures and played with a set of dinosaurs.

As always I am excited about what next week will hold for these creative students!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on the RES Enrichment blog--your feedback increases student engagement and interest in writing and sharing! These comments are moderated to keep our students safe. Once Mrs. Rankin has reviewed the comment, it will show up on the blog feed. Come back and comment again soon!