Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Sounds Of Learning

Image result for venspired
Image from Krissy Venosdale at venspired, downloaded from:  https://s3.amazonaws.com/storage3.magcloud.com/image/e52cb461b8c3464db675a746f3d39ece.jpg



A few weeks ago, our principal was scheduled to stop by and observe my class (this had been on the schedule for months).  When I looked at the time slot I cringed---this was the first day of student interest driven projects in second grade and we were scheduled to do kitchen chemistry! I had already spent a lot of time wondering what this lesson was going to look like (my classroom in carpeted!) But I also knew that it was a great opportunity for me to get feedback on classroom management on a brand new lesson to me, and one in which there would be a lot of energy and messy materials!

The lesson was a ton of fun, including when students cheered at the beginning of class when they found out the topic.  I am honored that this lesson was then embedded into a weekly school podcast, which you can find here:
http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/michael-berry/resvt-podcast
(Episode 23)

When I first listened to the audio from my lesson I was nervous that the volume was going to be too loud, or that it would be hard to hear the sound of learning.  I was wrong! Students were engaged in conversations, I was able to ask open ended exploratory questions and we were all having fun!  Clean up was a bit of a mess that day (several of our chemistry concoctions spilled over as they foamed and expanded!)  but as students left they asked--when will we do that again??  To me, this is the greatest sign of a successful learning experience!

Learning sounds different in different contexts.....but I think it is important to embrace the noise and the mess to encourage student engagement, fun AND learning!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on the RES Enrichment blog--your feedback increases student engagement and interest in writing and sharing! These comments are moderated to keep our students safe. Once Mrs. Rankin has reviewed the comment, it will show up on the blog feed. Come back and comment again soon!