Friday, April 19, 2013

Spring Break Celebrations

The arrival of spring break is welcome, and seems to be greeted with a lot of enthusiasm. As I wish everyone a happy break, I also wanted to share two things that have made me particularly grateful for school this week.

Today, I had one of the most genuine and fun moments I have had as a teacher yet! A group of first graders entered my classroom ready to learn. One student came and sat next to me where I was waiting in the circle for the class. She gave me a hug and said she was glad to be there! I replied that I was excited to see her and her class and that I really valued her hug and kind words....that they felt great to me as a teacher ( which they did!) What happened next was that the other students who had entered started to hug me too! And before I knew it we were having a spontaneous class group hug! Students were smiling and I was in the center of a happy group of kids showing their support for our community of learners and for me as a teacher. What a moment!!!

The past several weeks second graders have been blogging in the enrichment classroom. This week I thought we would take a break from this activity. What I found was that students wanted to blog! A student approached me and told me about his efforts in math. He was so proud that he wanted to share them on our blog! This was a great affirmation for me of the positive power that blogging can have in a classroom. Blogging can give students a voice....and I loved seeing the truth of that statement come alive in my classroom.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on the RES Enrichment blog--your feedback increases student engagement and interest in writing and sharing! These comments are moderated to keep our students safe. Once Mrs. Rankin has reviewed the comment, it will show up on the blog feed. Come back and comment again soon!