Friday, March 15, 2013

Students as the Teachers

In third grade enrichment classes we have begun working through a National Geographic workbook that is part of the third grade curriculum. The work is heavily skills based and requires students to respond to a series of questions in order to sharpen their geographic skills. As a teacher I had been struggling with how to heighten student engagement in this work. Students were working through the materials, but I was not comfortable with the enthusiasm level. At the same time I realized that this knowledge was important and we needed to find a way to cover all of the material. This week I had an idea-- what if students were to teach the lessons? I introduced the idea and the topics and gave students a lesson and a half of time to create their lessons. Students were excited and the ideas were AWESOME! One more week of planning and then I will turn the lessons and the learning fully over to the student groups.

A sneak preview from my discussions with various groups--I understand that we will be cutting up watermelons to learn about the hemispheres and working our way through mazes blindfolded to practice cardinal directions. Creativity abounds in third grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on the RES Enrichment blog--your feedback increases student engagement and interest in writing and sharing! These comments are moderated to keep our students safe. Once Mrs. Rankin has reviewed the comment, it will show up on the blog feed. Come back and comment again soon!